SCHOPE & CUBASE - Tutorial by Rodhex

Hello.
Did u know that Cubase built-in MultiScope Plugin can make multianalisys too?. One thing i like of it is its interfase size which is very compact. With that plugin u can set up to 6 tracks at once (yes believe me 6!!!) to analize. One thing i dislike of Cubase MultiScope Plugin is the lack of any zoom or panning capability on its graphs. Also in its “freq multimode” you can’t see the spectrums on top each others like SCHOPE does. In Cubase MultiScope Plugin instead you see separate lanes from bottom to top which sometimes make very difficult to see freqs. Those are some reasons i think SCHOPE is a quite better visual choice comparing for Cubase thing. Keep reading…

Before start, i already noticed that some people here in the forum already asked about how to use SCHOPE or how to set it up for Multischoping. If you didnt understand it well this is the time to do it. In this post im gonna be so clear as possible specially for beginners. You’ll see some pics with explanations too (with images is fastest to learn it).

This post might be look extense cause as i said, i wrote it for beginners. Trust me, it’s not difficult to set it up. If you notice something wrong please let me know. I use SCHOPE a lot specially its FREQ mode. SCHOPE’s 4 Input channels for me is far enough (although 6 inputs like Cubase analizer or 8 will be nice too). There are others VST Plugins which make the same things with more inputs too. For beginners i think SCHOPE is very easy.

This is a tutorial that is going to make you able to see the 4 MONO tracks spectrum or whatever you want with the SCHOPE plugin in Cubase 5.

[size=150]+++++ PRE-START +++++[/size]

As you probably already know, SCHOPE has only 4 Inputs so if you want to “schope” more tracks probably you’ll have to start using group buses.
In brief words what we’re gonna do here is SEND the signal of each track (4) to 1 specific input of SCHOPE plugin.
The Cubase built-in SURROUNDPAN plugin will allow us to choose the destination of our sended signal which will be received by 1 of the 4 SCHOPE’s Inputs.
In this tutorial we’ll need 4 MONO Type tracks plus 1 Quadro Type Group Track. That’s all.
(NOTE: It’s possible to see/analize stereo tracks too but in this tutorial i show you how to make it with 4 mono tracks.)

PIC1. If you understand this graph (PIC1) this tutorial would be very easy…

[size=150]+++++ START +++++[/size]

01- Create 4 MONO TRACKS
Think in this tracks as 4 instruments. Put some audio material in them.
(Note: In this tutorial my audio material for each track will be a Sine wave generated for Cubase Built-in TestGenerator plugin. For these tracks, different tone/freqs will be configured. Remember, every track will have YOUR program material or in my case just 4 ToneGenerator plugins.)

02- Create a Quadro Type Group Track.
Lets call this Group “Schope” (very original). Later our tracks will send its signal to this Quadro Group.
The Output bus of this Group will be routed to nowhere i.e NO BUS. SCHOPE plugin has no Outputs so take the volume fader you will see on its channel strip as a curiosity. Just in case set this Quadro Group Output to NO BUS.
(Note: is possible to use/create an LRCS Type or others types like “6.0 Cine” but in some cases is a little tricky to setup. Choose QUADRO.)

03- Put SCHOPE plugin in one INSERT Slot.
Put SCHOPE in one empty Insert slot of our recently named “Schope” QUADRO GROUP. Set SCHOPE in FREQ MODE. TURN ON the 4 SCHOPE Inputs buttons (bottom area). Now SCHOPE will be ready to see incoming signals. Keep SCHOPE visible.

04- Set Cubase Channel Strip for TRACK 1 to look like PIC2 (below).

PIC2. Track1 - Channel Settings Window.

As you can see above, in TRACK 1 we can notice the SEND LEVELS area (where our SCHOPE TRACK has been selected as one send destination) and after that the SEND PANNING ROUTING AREA (green). In the green area is where actually lives the Cubase built-in SURROUNDPAN plugin (enclosed red). The SEND and PANNING amount of the SURROUNDPAN plugin are very important here.
(NOTE: if you cant see the SEND ROUTING AREA (green) right click on an empty space area and select the item on the popup menu. In this tutorial EQ area has been hidden.)

05- Mute TRACKS 2,3,4.

06- Play your song.

07. Setting the SURROUNDPAN for TRACK1:
As song starts, double click in the red area marked in the PIC2 (above). The SURROUNDPAN will popup. Keep it open and make it look like PIC3 (below).

PIC3. Magenta area = 1st SCHOPE INPUT.
Dont forget to set the Panner to “Mono Mix”(red area). The others corners will be selected for tracks 2,3,4 in different SORROUNDPANNERs each.

See SCHOPE interfase, you’ll see the incoming signal moving playin’ around. For TRACK 1 set a 00db Send amount to our Quadro Group Track. (in PIC2 a 0.00db amount is already set).
In The SURROUNDPANNER interfase start moving the centerpoint (that little grey thing with an “M” on top. You have to see the “M”. See how to configure the Panner in the PIC3 (above).
As you move the centerpoint you’ll notice inmediatly that the colors of SCHOPE Curves changes too, that means that you are routing the audio to 1 of 4 SCHOPE inputs. Remember, every Input has its own color in SCHOPE (Grey, Red, Green and Blue). Notice also that in this stage as you start moving around the centerpoint you can already see in Cubase Mixer the levels (you know, the 4 little thin meters) of our QUADRO GROUP jumping or changing in the Meter area too. Those thin meters show us the level activity in the 4 inputs of the QUADRO Group. The Send level wants to be directed to just one input. See PIC4 (below). Remember, with the help of SURROUNDPAN the goal here is to feed just 1 of 4 SCHOPE inputs at 100% for TRACK1.

PIC4. SURROUNPAN on top of CUBASE Mixer. As you move the centerpoint… magenta areas will show the level activity.

[size=150]+++++ END +++++[/size]

Repeat previous steps for TRACKS 2,3,4. You won’t need create more tracks. It’s just a routing thing.
Remember: Every Track Panned to A Different SCHOPE Input or Every Corner In The SURROUNPANNER Matchs An Input In SCHOPE. See graph @ PIC1.
Thats all. I hope you can make it.

BTW. I have some requests for this Schope plugin. They are here. :mrgreen:

Dude, NICE! Thank you for that.

Scott

:astonished: Whhoooo fast reply.
You guys are great.
You’re welcome.

Ohh sh…
Really? more than 1400 visits on this post. I’m amazzed :astonished:
Any future update for this plugin?

We don’t have immediate plans for updates to schOPE, but I won’t say that we’ll never update it. There are some limitations to what we can do with it and still have it compatible across multiple platforms and plugin formats, but we’re always open to ideas.

Scott