SOLVED! No display or audio in SONAR 8.3.1

Hi-

I have an evaluation copy of Spectro 1.1.1. I put it in the FX bin of an audio track in SONAR 8.3.1. There’s no graphics display in Spectro when I play the track back, and in fact there’s no audio either. As soon as I bypass Spectro I hear the audio normally.

Spectro works fine in REAPER, and all of my other plug-ins work fine in SONAR, so I assume there’s a setting I’m missing somewhere.

TIA-

-Susan

Thanks for the report … Spectro works normally in Sonar 7, but I don’t yet have Sonar 8 for testing. I will endeavor to get an NFR from them to see what’s wrong.

Yes, I just checked and it works fine in S7 here as well. Thanks for looking into this; it’s a very cool plug, and I’m looking forward to using it in 8.3.1!

-Susan

The plot thickens: Scott has Sonar 8.0 and it works there …

Downloading the 8.3.1 update now (210MB??? Jeez.) and I’ll let you know if it breaks the plugin.

Scott

Still works after I applied 8.3.1. I get both audio and graphics when playing back, and am able to edit the audio as normal.

Scott

That’s strange. I just tried it again with the same basically empty project in S7.02 and 8.3.1. I loaded the same .wav in the same track, inserted Spectro. It’s fine in 7, nada in 8, so I’m back to thinking I have something set differently in 8, but I can’t think what it would be. It’s like I have a mute on the track; no reading on the SONAR meter at all during playback unless I bypass Spectro.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again-

-Susan

I posted this issue on the SONAR forum and so far it works for one 8.3.1 User and not for another. Hmm…

I’ll post back if I come up with the answer.

-Susan

Nothing definitive yet, but at least some of the SONAR folks have looked at it. Who knows, maybe some will buy it!

Can you think of anything that would prevent Spectro from working on my 8.3.1 system? I’d really appreciate any suggestions you might have. I’m totally baffled.

Specs:
XP Pro SP 3
MOTU Ultralite
Asus P5B-E
1.87 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Thanks-

-Susan

Edited to supply OS version.

Cakewalk is graciously sending me an NFR for Sonar 8.3, once that arrives I’ll try to figure this out.

Hi schwa-

A SONAR User found the problem. If “64-bit Double Precision Engine” is checked under Options > Audio > General, Spectro does nothing at all. I unchecked that and it’s working normally now. I didn’t have it checked in S7, which explains why it worked there.

SONAR’s Help file says if it’s checked “SONAR will send and receive 64-bit data to and from all plug-ins that accept 64-bit data. If a plug-in requires 32-bit data, SONAR will send and receive 32-bit data.”

So is this something I should report to Cakewalk, or something you can change in Spectro?

Thanks very much again!

-Susan

Thank you, armed with that information I can debug this. The problem is technical: in 32-bit mode, Sonar correctly send plugins separate buffers for input and output, but in 64-bit mode, Sonar sends the same buffer for use as both input and output. Spectro is assigning the outputs before reading the inputs, which is a common thing for a plugin with processing latency to do, but that means Spectro is inadvertently clearing its own input.

I can work around this trivially in Spectro, and I need to put out a new release anyway in the next day or so, but the problem is technically on Sonar’s side.

In any case, thanks for your perseverance.

Hi schwa-

Thanks very much! I saw your post on SONAR’s Software forum and went ahead and quoted it in the general SONAR Producer and Studio forum here forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1669681. Hope you don’t mind, but I’d expanded the audience a bit and wanted those folks to see your response as well! :wink:

I’ll report this to Cakewalk, too.

Thanks again-

-Susan

Please try the just-released Spectro 1.01.04 in Sonar with 64-bit mode:

stillwellaudio.com/?page_id=32

Yes, sir – works fine! :slight_smile:

-Susan

Adding more information for completeness.

I stand corrected: Sonar does always send plugins the same buffer space in 32-bit or 64-bit mode. Spectro previously worked in Sonar’s 32-bit mode because Spectro always processes internally at 64-bit, which requires converting Sonar’s 32-bit buffers.

As for whether or not this is “legal” VST, I’d have said not (and I think Sonar is the only host that does this), but it’s immaterial, because the point of plugins is to work with hosts, not to follow the letter of the law.