Fideia Issues

Hi…hoping I don’t get blasted for being new to plugins and the whole AU Mac process, and I am not a professional mixer or anything like that. But I love good music, have a MacBook Pro, Fidelia Advanced and a pretty kick ass laptop speaker that hooks to the top of my screen. I listen mostly to 80’s electro/New Wave, dance, and really wanted it to sound good coming from my computer. Pretty simple. So I have Fidelia because no other player could play my music, and a speaker. Then I wandered into a forum on plugins. Since then, I started messing around with them. Fidelia has only 3 spots for plugins which for me, is fine. However, I’m having a hard time figuring out a combination that works really well together. From what I’ve read, I know its good to have a compressor and something about a “buss”? I’ve played with the EQ’s as well, and like that I have a lot of control. Anyway, if someone could help, that would be so rad! Please be kind…I’m learning and just love to hear my music the best way possible :slight_smile:
Also, every time I pause my music, then try to play, if I’m using a stillwell plugin, it will not play. I have to quit Fidelia, then open it again to play music. I have registered and done everything else (I think) that I’m supposed to. So if anyone out in computer land can help a girl…that’d be great :slight_smile:

Nah…why would you get “blasted” for asking a question?

Now…here’s the thing: Music was mixed by the engineer and the mastering folks to sound good on as many systems as possible - that’s their intent, or it should be. So, STRICTLY, messing around with it is varying from the original artist’s intent.

THAT DOESN’T MEAN IT’S WRONG TO CHANGE IT. It DOES mean, however, that there are no “right” answers. Tinker with it until it sounds good to YOU. Doesn’t mean it’ll sound good to anyone else…and if I tell you how I would do it (which I probably wouldn’t), you probably wouldn’t like what I did…and you would be perfectly okay to disagree with me.

About the only thing I MIGHT do is use some EQ to help make up for the frequency response (or lack thereof) of the speakers you’re playing through. Note that if you start boosting frequencies, you don’t get something for nothing - sooner or later the amplifier will start clipping, or the speakers will bottom out, and that’s the end of it. If you need to boost a lot of lows to have the speakers sound “good”, then that means you won’t be able to get as loud overall as if you had left it alone.

I don’t know that I’d put any compressors or limiters on the music - it’s already loud enough…why try to squeeze out the remaining dynamic range? If you want louder…that’s what the volume control is for.

Anyway, glad you’re experimenting…but don’t get locked into preconceived notions of “right” and “wrong” on this…it’s all opinion…as long as you realize that what sounds good to you may not sound good to someone else…that’s a whole 'nother discussion.

Scott