Some "Manuals" would be cool

Hi,

i really like the stillwell plugIns and till now, ive bought 5 of them. shure, i understand most of what the parameters would do but hey, some simple pdf files with a little extra information would be really cool. that must not be 100 pages each, so im happy with the manual that comes with the rocket plugIn.
i wish i had this for the other plugIns too, specially for majorTom and Event Horizon.

thanks

+1

The one for which a manual would be a life saver would be definitely : Bad Buss Mojo… IMHO

And some basic presets for it (as starting points for further tweakings) would be a benediction :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance
B

absolutely agree. bought some stillwell audio plugins yesterday. i loved them after trying out (great work there scott!!).
but i am a bit confused on some things, then i tried to find the manuals here but nothing… :S
a 2-page pdf file for each one of them would be necessary.

ooh, and i didn’t buy the bad buss mojo because there are no presets to make me understand it better. if there was, probably i’d buy it too.

+1! Actually, I have spent quite a lot of time with 1973 and Event Horizon. Maybe I’ll type something up this weekend.

I know, I know…we gotta get it done…but in the meantime, if you have specific questions, ASK! That’s what the forums are here for, after all.

:slight_smile:

Scott

I took the liberty of writing up a brief ‘manual’ for one of my favorite Stillwell plug-ins, 1973. Please feel free to edit/correct it as desired. I really enjoyed writing it as it helped me brush up on my EQ fundamentals and really learn the plug-in inside out. it really is a beauty, this 1973, and I hope these notes encourage all present and future owners to make the most of it. :smiley:

Stillwell Audio 1973 Help File

Output Gain: Cut or Boost the output level to prevent clipping or increase volume respectively.

Oversample: Higher Quality Anti-Aliasing Algorithm that can be employed on final renders.

HPF or High Pass Filter: Allows frequencies higher than the specified amount to pass through, while filtering anything lower. Thus a cut at 160Hz will remove all frequencies below 160, leaving the rest untouched. A cut at 50 Hz helps ‘open up’ a mix, as most speakers cannot recreate these frequencies anyway, and they take up valuable headroom.

Low Shelf: A shelving filter affects the level of a particular frequency by a fixed amount. In this case, the Low Shelf EQ can be used to cut or boost any one of four frequencies that comprise the low-end/bass of the spectrum. Here is a brief description of these frequencies and their practical mixing applications:

35Hz: Sub Bass Frequencies. For genres like Drum and Bass and Dub. Cut to reduce boom.

60Hz: Add/remove bottom end. Adds weight to bass and kick drums. Cut to reduce boom.

110Hz: Can add weight to bass,vocals and snares. Cut to tighten up low end.

220Hz: Can add body to the mix. Cut to reduce muddiness.

Simply select the frequency you want to cut or boost and dial in the appropriate amount.

Mid Bell: Similarly, the Mid Bell EQ can be used to attenuate (cut or boost) mid range frequencies. Here, we have a choice of 6 pre-selected frequencies to choose from. A brief description of these frequencies and their practical applications are as follows:

360 Hz: Can add body to vocals and tighten up pianos and guitars. Cut to reduce muddiness in the mid range.

780 Hz: Strings and keyboard instruments usually reside in this range.

1.6 Khz: Small boosts may add warmth. Hi hats and cymbals usually reside in this range.

3.2 Khz: As above. Cut or boost to taste.

4.8 Khz: Finger plucks/attacks and synthesizer and vocal harmonics usually reside in this range.

7.2 Khz: As above.

It is important to note that a lot of these frequencies may overlap across the spectrum, so it is essential that you use the above notes as guidelines and trust your ears.

High Shelf: Affects frequencies above a certain amount, in the case 12Khz. Boosting here can add air and brightness to single instruments and mixes.

Double Right Clicking a knob returns it to its default position.
Left Click a knob to manually enter in a precise value. The hit enter to disable the value readout. You can also left click a knob to bring up a visual readout of the values in Db. Hitting enter disables the value readout.

Great “manual” phatsobrown!

Thank you so much for taking the time, phatsobrown!! Your write up helped me out a lot!! Very nice work. I created an account just to tell you that :wink:

Basic user manuals with explanations of the controls would be very helpful.

where? i can’t find them anywhere! and I start getting anxious about it (and that’s a problem for me… my doctor even gave me zoloft coupon for this problem…)

Look at the “Other Downloads” below the main download links on the product page.

I’ve seen some good videos on Youtube, apart from that I find the plugins pretty easy to figure out.

I’m trying to use Spectro in Resolve Studio (Fairlight) 16b on a MBP with Retina display (which may be the problem). The UI is kind of small and I can barely even see the controls, let alone figure out how they work. Pulling the window out doesn’t expand the UI. A short manual would be VERY useful about now. I don’t want to bail on this plug-in because I can see there are things that I like about it. Sorry, haven’t paid for it yet, because I don’t yet know if it’ll really work for me. I’d prefer to stay in Resolve for other reasons, but the spectral editor in Reaper doesn’t look too bad if I can’t make Spectro work.

You’re right that the current version is not HiDPI or Retina enabled. We’re working on that for upcoming versions. In the meantime, let’s see if I can attach a manual here on the forum…Spectro_manual.pdf (470.1 KB)