Sidechaining in Ableton 7

Hi everyone,

I know this has been covered in the FAQ’s regarding Cubase/Nuendo, but has anybody got any idea how this works in Ableton? This plugin doesn’t seem to sidechain as instantaneously as other compressor plugs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I take it you know how to sidechain in live then. Hmmm. (This video may cover it if you don’t, not sure - I didn’t watch it all the way through because the chap’s voice was giving me the urge to torture bunnies.)

That should be all there is to it, just hit the sidechain button on Rocket and you’re away.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, but for some reason The Rocket doesn’t allow an input for sidechaining in Ableton…This is why I asked if anybody could fathom this out…

I already know how to sidechain using Live’s compressor and other compressor plugs, The Rocket doesn’t have the same advantage. Maybe Scott could shed some light here?

Regards.

Exactly what I am trying to work out!!! Aaaargh! Please help.

Right, I just bought The Rocket, 1973, Major Tom and Event Horizon. Now how do you Sidechain the Rocket in Ableton Live??? I can do it with other comps ok, just not The Rocket!!

Hi Scott, is the Rocket going to be able to be sidechained in live in the near future? Sorry to keep going on about it, but I need that feature. Thanks

It DOES support sidechaining. It always has. Live’s sidechaining implementation is a little non-intuitive, however.

Let’s assume that you want to duck the bass from the kick (have the bass compress or drop in volume whenever the kick hits, allowing the kick to punch through without having to crank its volume excessively)

1. Rocket must already be on the track you want to duck…the sidechain inputs won’t available until the plugin is present.

2. Create a new Return Track. Rename it to KickRtn, or whatever floats your boat.

3. Set the KickRtn Track “Audio To” to your bass track. When you do that, the input list below will un-grey and become enabled. Select “Input 3/Input 4-pluginname” as the Input that “Audio To” uses. Inputs 3 and 4 are the sidechain key inputs of The Rocket (or any of our sidechainable plugins).

4. Turn up the Kick Track Send to the KickRtn channel so that The Rocket has signal to work with

5. Go to the bass track and enable sidechain on Rocket.

6. Adjust threshold and ratio, etc. to suit.

There y’go.

There may be better ways to do it, but that’s what I found worked…I’m not a “Live” user.

Scott