Presets

A brief description of the presets in Bombardier would be nice. The preset names are a bit “obscure”.

Yes please description of preset and parameters.
Thank you

The presets are named as clearly as is appropriate, since the dynamics and frequency spectrum of the source audio will have a profound effect on how Bombardier behaves, so the presets should be treated as a well-chosen good place to start. Getting the best sound will, I’m afraid, require some experimentation and a good read of the manual where the parameters are well described. There’s also some artistry involved since balancing transparency with the required amount of audible compression niceness and glue-y effects does take more practice than, for example, throwing The Rocket across your audio and smiling as it all gets nicely smashed :slight_smile:

Ok but my goal is to use a transparent compressor with well documented functions (of course ears are the only judge), may be it’s silly but something like “plug and forget” and return to the music.
I am tired to tweak in the plugin world, parameters or tuning “esoteric” adjustments as in (excellent) Voxengo plugs.

It really depends on what you’re trying to do. The key parameter in Bombardier is the RMS size. The shorter it is the faster you’ll catch peaks.For instruments with fast transients like drums you’ll probably need shorter RMS sizes to control their dynamics more but if you just need to bring up some details on those drums and leave peaks pass through, a bigger RMS size will do the trick. Presets have a clues in their names. For example, let’s compare 2 presets:

Buss - Drum Power 1 vs 2Buss - Unfair Child

Drum power 1 has a short RMS size, fast attack/release times. Bombardier will work more on peaks because of its RMS size and fast attack times. You shouldn’t look for high Gain Reduction levels when using this preset because your drums may sound squashed (unless that’s what you’re looking for). You can control peaks with this preset but the overall dynamics won’t be modified.

2Buss - Unfair Child has a long RMS, very fast attack time and a program dependent release. Bombardier will work more on your signal ‘strength’ because of its RMS size but it will control tightly that ‘strength’ because it is using a very fast attack. The overall dynamics will be controlled depending on how the signal changes because it is using a ‘slow’ release. You can get high Gain Reduction levels with this preset and your drums shouldn’t sound squashed (this is more transparent).

I’d suggest you to try presets on different material and hear how Bombardier responds to those signals depending on the preset you’ve chosen, this way you’ll get a better picture about them.

OK now that’s exactly what I would like to see in the documentation…just a paragraph and we can use that as a jumping off point for further adjustments. A name like “unfair child” may be cool but it doesn’t even begin to suggest what’s involved.

Fairchild 670