Ableton Live Crash

Hi,

maybe i have luck in this forum to get an answer…

i think i’ve found a bug in Schope.
This is my system:
Win Vista SP1
Ableton Live 7.0.14
Schope 1.54

On my system it’s pretty easy to reproduce:

1. Create an audio loop from the live library
  2. Insert Schope on this track
  3. Zoom in the lower frequencies

Wait a while an ableton live crashes.

This is the german version of vista application logging:

Problemereignisname: APPCRASH
Anwendungsname: Live 7.0.12.exe
Anwendungsversion: 1.0.0.1
Anwendungszeitstempel: 492588d5
Fehlermodulname: Schope.dll
Fehlermodulversion: 0.0.0.0
Fehlermodulzeitstempel: 490923ff
Ausnahmecode: c0000005
Ausnahmeoffset: 0000237b
Betriebsystemversion: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Gebietsschema-ID: 1031
Zusatzinformation 1: 200f
Zusatzinformation 2: 0732974b985155a956ad0b9c04292496
Zusatzinformation 3: ea30
Zusatzinformation 4: 7c41b84f733e0b904d4bfaae05b5e4c0

This is the xml export of the application logging (maybe better than german :wink::

- 1000 2 100 0x80000000000000 579 Application Fragment-PC - Live 7.0.12.exe 1.0.0.1 492588d5 Schope.dll 0.0.0.0 490923ff c0000005 0000237b a50 01c95f95fe678af9

Hope you will find the problem.

Thanks and have a nice day
Alex

I’ve investigated that the crash only occurs if you move the horizontal zoom fader while Schope is analysing frequencies (maybe only the lower ones) respectively while audio is playing.

Hope that helps…

Greeting
Alex

Thank you for the report Alex, and sorry for the trouble.

I have just spent about 20 minutes zooming and scrolling the frequency display during playback in Live 7.0.1 and it won’t crash for me. Is there any other information that might be relevant? The frequency FFT size in Schope, or is there anything unusual about the source data format, sample rate, bit depth?

Hi Schwa,

thanks for the answer and your investigation! Hope you had a nice christmas time…?

FFT size and all other parameters of Schope are default.
I’m using a loop of the ableton live library. Nothing special so far.
Maybe you can test it with the latest version of live, 7.0.14?
I’ve contacted Ableton but they said that it might be a problem with schope and my graphic card/driver -> MSI N9400GT-MD512?
Everything else works fine under Win Vista… i’ve tested Schope with Reaper and Kore2, no problems, only Ableton Live.

Best…
Alex

Maybe the problem is related to asio buffer size and the plugin buffer size preference of live.
If i set the asio buffer size to 512 samples and plugin buffer size to “same as audio buffer” it seems to work more stable.
If i lower plugin buffer size (for example 128 samples) i can reproduce the crash faster.

Alex

If i set plugin buffer size to 2048 or a higher value in ableton live it seems that i can’t reproduce the crash.
Maybe this info helps you…

Greetings
alex

Hi Schwa,

any news about my issue?

Thanks
Alex

Hi Schwa,

sorry to ask but are you investigating my issue? I know you are very busy and highly involved in the reaper project.
I like your plugins very much and would buy other ones but Schope is unusable for me together with ableton live.
Should i take a look around for another spectrum analyser?
An answer would be nice because i need a proper analyser plugin!

Thanks and kind regards
Alex

Hello Fragment,

This is rather frustrating, I simply can’t get Live to crash. I have installed 7.0.14, I have set the plugin buffer to anywhere from 32 to 128 samples, but no matter how much I zoom and scroll the frequency display, it won’t crash.

This is a long shot and I know it’s inconvenient, but have you tried re-downloading and re-installing Schope?

If that doesn’t work, can you think of any other possible settings in Live that might affect this problem?

In any case, sorry for the trouble.

Hi Schwa,

thanks for your answer and investigation again. That’s a very frustrating situation… but thats the wonderfull world of incompatible PC/Windows systems.
I’ve done a re-install yesterday but the behavior is the same.
I have checked all settings in Live’s preference, nothing special, 44,1 sample rate and 32 bit depth.

Is it possible that the issue is related to my graphic card driver and schope like ableton assumed?
Or maybe my soundcard driver?

Maybe i should post my specs:

• Intel Core i7-920
  • Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5, Intel X58
  • 3GB-Corsair
  • MSI N9400GT-MD512 NVIDIA 9400GT
  • TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48

I have no more idea what i should look at…

Kind regards
Alex